Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Treatment Plan

Today was my first visit with my oncologist. We really like him so far and have friends who sing his praises, so we feel like we are in good hands. We had a long talk and have lined up our plans for the cancer treatment. Someone asked me this week how I'm feeling about everything and right now, I am in a fighting mood. :) I am ready to do whatever it takes to get going and get rid of whatever might be lurking around in my body. Because my cancer was HER2 positive (only 25% of breast cancer patience have this more aggressive kind) right now I have a 45% chance of it recurring. The treatment plan that I will be taking has a 90% success rate, so I am ready to get started.

  • Friday the 12th I go in for an echocardiogram so they can get a clear picture of my heart. The Herceptin can damage the heart sometimes, so this will allow them to keep a check on me.
  • Some time the week after Valentines Day, I will go in for a day surgery to have a port cath put in my chest. This will allow them to give me the treatments there. My veins would not hold up to an I.V. every week for a year.
  • The same day the port is put in, I will have my first treatment of chemo and Herceptin. I will have 6 treatments of chemo, 1 every 3 weeks till I reach the 6. I will have the Herceptin infusions every week for 1 year.
This week, I got an e-mail from a friend of my husbands. She said that the Lord had given her 2 verses for me and they are perfect "fight songs" for me as I get ready to head into this crazy year that lies ahead!

Jeremiah 32:27
"I am the Lord, the God of all flesh. Is anything too hard for me?"

Jeremiah 32:17
"Ah, Lord God! It is You who have made the heavens and the earth
by Your great power and by Your outstretched arm!
Nothing is too hard for You!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It can be very freeing emotionally to finally have a concrete plan of action! I'm excited for you... because God knows your game plan and He always plays to win! Love you cousin!

Robin and Billy said...

Sounds like you have a plan of action. If my calculations are right, you'll be finishing around the end of the school term. :)

It's good to see you're in that "fight mood"! When you hear cheers from Hixson, it'll be me. I'll be on the side line cheering you all the way to victory!!

Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference. - Winston Churchill

Love you girl!

Peter and Nancy said...

I just love that fighting spirit! And the two verses from Jeremiah are perfect. I am so pleased to see that 90% too. At our house, when we have a job that needs to get done, either my husband or I will often say "Giddyup!" . . . that's not one bit profound, but that's what I was thinking when I read that you're ready to start!
Giddyup!
Nancy