What an overwhelming turn our lives have taken in just a few short weeks. Here is a brief timeline of my cancer story to date...
- 1 year ago I found a lump during a self exam. My doctor sent me to an imaging place for a mammogram and ultrasound. They told me that it was nothing. I was just getting older and my tissue was getting harder.
- 1 year later (November 09) I go in for my yearly and tell my doctor that the lump is still there, feels like it has changed a bit and has started bleeding a little bit. She sends me back to the same imaging place for another mammogram and they do 2 ultrasounds this time. Still, they tell me it is "nothing but a cyst." They say not to worry about it and to come back in 6 months to see if it has grown. My doctor says that is ridiculous and sets me an appointment with a surgical breast specialist.
- December 10, 3 days after turning 38, I see the breast specialist. She does her own ultrasound and is immediately concerned. She does a biopsy on the spot that day.
- December 14, I get a call that my biopsy is positive for cancer and I need an MRI to determine more clearly.
- December 15, my husband and I meet with the surgeon to go over my options and have any questions answered.
- December 17, I have an MRI which shows that I have invasive breast cancer.
- We decide to wait till after the Christmas holidays to have my surgery for the sake of the kids and our family.
- January 11, I have a pre-op x-ray and blood work.
- January 13, I have a single mastectomy.
In one month, I have gone through a whirlwind of emotion. Although I have chosen to ignore my cancer till the end of the holidays, I am now going to try to write about my experience for my own therapy, so here we go.