Monday, January 14, 2013

Three Years and Counting!

Yesterday I celebrated my 3 years "CANCER FREE" mark!  It does not seem quite like 3 years since I just finished the last part of my reconstructive surgeries 6 months ago, but it has been 3 years since my initial surgery to remove the cancer!  My breast surgeon says that for my rarer kind of cancer, the highest rate of return in within the first 2 years, so I am celebrating that I have passed that milestone.

I still have to be careful I know.  It is up to me to be aware of what is going on with my body and alert my doctor of any suspicious change or pain in my body.  I am finding out that this is just something cancer survivors have to live with for the rest of their lives.  So, I try to remain aware, yet not live in a paranoid or fearful way.  The 5 year mark is when the survival rate for my type of cancer reaches 90%, so I am celebrating my 3 years and still counting up to 5!

2 comments:

Peter and Nancy said...

Jumping up and down in my kitchen for you! You are irreplaceable, and I'm so glad you've been living life, mothering, wife-ing, and following Jesus for the past three years. And I'll be praying for that 5-year milestone . . . which will surely deserve a celebration of some kind.
With love,
Nancy

Anonymous said...

Praising God with you!