Monday, January 14, 2013

Three Years and Counting!

Yesterday I celebrated my 3 years "CANCER FREE" mark!  It does not seem quite like 3 years since I just finished the last part of my reconstructive surgeries 6 months ago, but it has been 3 years since my initial surgery to remove the cancer!  My breast surgeon says that for my rarer kind of cancer, the highest rate of return in within the first 2 years, so I am celebrating that I have passed that milestone.

I still have to be careful I know.  It is up to me to be aware of what is going on with my body and alert my doctor of any suspicious change or pain in my body.  I am finding out that this is just something cancer survivors have to live with for the rest of their lives.  So, I try to remain aware, yet not live in a paranoid or fearful way.  The 5 year mark is when the survival rate for my type of cancer reaches 90%, so I am celebrating my 3 years and still counting up to 5!


Peter and Nancy said...

Jumping up and down in my kitchen for you! You are irreplaceable, and I'm so glad you've been living life, mothering, wife-ing, and following Jesus for the past three years. And I'll be praying for that 5-year milestone . . . which will surely deserve a celebration of some kind.
With love,

hearingelmo said...

Praising God with you!