Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Post-Surgery Update

Wow. I am amazed to think that anyone would choose to do plastic surgery voluntarily. While I know I will be so grateful for the results, the process is quickly wearing me down and it's only been 2 weeks since my surgery.

After surgery, I spent 1 night in the hospital and then they sent me home...even with a fever. Go figure. I came home with 3 drain tubes and a numbing pump hanging out of my sides. I am covered in bruises where they tried to stick i.v's that did not want to go. The pressure in my chest and the swelling under my arms makes it difficult to do much of anything. I can't drive, I have to sleep in the recliner, I'm not supposed to do any lifting, and the natural tendency to hold my arms stiffly at my side has caused a lot of pain in my neck and shoulders. Fun times! To top off the last 2 weeks, my mother has pulled her back out trying to help me with the kids and the housework, the 2 girls have colds, and the 2 boys have tested positive for the flu!

So, what comes next? I will be seeing the doctor each week for the next couple of months for injections of fluid to fill my expanders. At my next visit, I hope to get the remaining two drains out which will make a huge difference I think. My second surgery should take place around the end of May or the beginning of June. In May, I have my 6th echocardiogram to see if my heart is returning back to it's normal function rate after being weakened by the Hercepton. Despite all this, there is an end in site and I am grateful for several things...
  1. The test results on the tissue from my second mastectomy were normal!
  2. My husband's boss has been incredible, letting him take off whenever he needed to help me!
  3. I have gotten to spend a couple of weeks with my mother!
  4. I should be done with everything by the end of June and get to enjoy part of the summer with my kiddos!
  5. I have some wonderful friends and family who are looking after me!
I am truly blessed!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

as always... praying for you daily!

Julie & Patrick said...

Yes, I agree, once the drains are all gone, it will make a difference. It has been a long and tough road, and I am glad that you still are able to find some positives in spite of it all.

Hoping that recover for everyone and especially you continues to go well.

hang in there!
Julie

Peter and Nancy said...

You are a trooper, and so is your mom! I hope the sickness passes without spreading to you or her . . . and that you continue to heal. I am celebrating the results of the tissue tests, and will keep praying for you.
Hugs to you,
Nancy